Saturday, November 21, 2009

Student Achievement Data

Here is the raw data that I used to calculate student achievement for this sample classroom:



We were asked to exclude the scores from the first five tests, as well as the students who above classroom average scores overall. Their scores can still be found on this raw data sheet, however they have been hidden in case I need to use that data another time.

Here is the chart that reflects the data above.



This chart includes data from the students whose test averages fell below the overall class average. As you can see, overall student scores climbed over the span of the testing. In fact, the only student who had erratically climbing scores was Katherine Hepburn, who had an incredibly low test score for test 6, an enormous jump on test 7, and a decrease of about 20 points on test 8.

It is clear that although these students shown in the graph were the lower scoring students in the class, they still show improvement over the course of the class. Their test scores climbed as the year went on. This shows that although they were lower scoring as compared to the overall class average, they were still retaining information enough to score a little higher on each test.

This assignment has been somewhat frustrating for me, but I think I finally figured it out. I have used Excel for work, however for some reason it's been a different experience for me to use Google Docs for this purpose. I think part of it was an issue with my computer. Overall, this has been an incredibly useful experience, and I know that I will use spreadsheets like this in my classroom. Definitely will be using them for calculating class averages like we did here.

Finally, here is the link to this presentation

1 comment:

  1. Very thorough presentation of your data and analyzing the trends.

    ReplyDelete