Saturday, October 24, 2009

Skype

So, I just created a Skype account. The class demo was very interesting, and I was definitely interested in trying it out myself. I can definitely see use for this in my middle school social studies class.

I could Skype an expert on a particular social studies topic and have them do a little broadcast question/answer session with the class relating to what we're learning. This would be particularly amazing, because it would be live, the presenter could do it from home if they felt like it, and the students could ask questions in real time. It would also add a little variety to the classroom...they wouldn't just be learning from boring old Mrs. Patterson that day -- and they would get a chance to hear from an expert without having to bring in a "guest speaker".

It just blows me away that this is free and has video, when people in my office are still paying good money to conference call. What's with that?

1 comment: